Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Project Wonderland and Sun Spots

Yesterday, I was able to watch a wonderful presentation about Project Wonderland, a project which I think has a bright future and has some extremely interesting features. I did not write about it while watching the presentation since I was admittedly captivated and wanted to absorb as much as I could about the technology - it was definitely something I could see myself using down the road.

Project Wonderland is a framework for developing online worlds - and Sun is doing some really neat stuff with it. One of the big features in the release I was shown was the use of sound. In the game, sound is sent out radially to simulate how sound works in the real world, and as well there are 'cones of silence' where only users within the cone of silence can hear the sound. As well, they have a neat "cell" system where people can easily create their own sections of the world, as well as things in the world.

Today, we were also given a pair of Sun Spots to play around. These things have a really awesome out-of-the-box experience, in which the default program loaded onto them is a bouncing ball demo, that can communicate with any other Sun Spots it detects and bounce its ball over to them. It has to be seen to be understood, but its pretty damn impressive. Also, fooling around with the Sun Spot is pretty trivial - you load a program to communicate with it, write your program, and in your Sun Spots NetBeans project, right click and tell it to deploy. Very cool.

No comments: